• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entertainment Law Question - Showing a product in a video.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csandara

What is the name of your state? California

A friend and I created a stand up comedy video on my property. I've noticed on TV that sometimes items are blurred out such as t-shirts and other brand names. Is this so they do not give "free advertising" to said brands, or is it because it is illegal to show these items?

In our situation, we have a product "Albertsons Diet Duo" (a lemon-lime soft drink with a store brand name) that is viewable. It is not "featured" but one can see it on the table.

We would like to be free to sell this video either to a tv station for broadcast, or for individiual sale...and want to make sure we don't need to "blur out" this can or not use the segment in which it is viewable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris in California

BelizeBreeze

csandara said:
What is the name of your state? California

A friend and I created a stand up comedy video on my property. I've noticed on TV that sometimes items are blurred out such as t-shirts and other brand names. Is this so they do not give "free advertising" to said brands, or is it because it is illegal to show these items?
Both
In our situation, we have a product "Albertsons Diet Duo" (a lemon-lime soft drink with a store brand name) that is viewable. It is not "featured" but one can see it on the table.
O.k.
We would like to be free to sell this video either to a tv station for broadcast, or for individiual sale...and want to make sure we don't need to "blur out" this can or not use the segment in which it is viewable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris in California
then chris, call the marketing department of the store for permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">