• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entitled to Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryder3265

What is the name of your state? Texas

When my divorce was final there was a clause that stated I had 60 days to retrieve my property awarded to me from the marital estate. I was sent out of town to work for about 70 days and was unable to comply with the 60 day time limit. My lawyer advised me to have someone pick it up or try to get her to "agree" to extend my time. My ex-wife agreed that I could get it upon my return. I rented a truck and was not able to fit it all in one load. I was going to return the following weekend for the rest and she told me I could get it then. In the following week she became angry with my daughter and retaliated against me and now refuses to let me have the rest of my belongings. Is there anything I can do to get it? Was the clause made null and void when she made the extra verbal agreement?

BelizeBreeze

ryder3265 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

When my divorce was final there was a clause that stated I had 60 days to retrieve my property awarded to me from the marital estate. I was sent out of town to work for about 70 days and was unable to comply with the 60 day time limit. My lawyer advised me to have someone pick it up or try to get her to "agree" to extend my time. My ex-wife agreed that I could get it upon my return. I rented a truck and was not able to fit it all in one load. I was going to return the following weekend for the rest and she told me I could get it then. In the following week she became angry with my daughter and retaliated against me and now refuses to let me have the rest of my belongings. Is there anything I can do to get it? Was the clause made null and void when she made the extra verbal agreement?
Nope. And it's up to you to prove the existence of a verbal agreement. Give her a week to cool down then if she doesn't let you retrieve your things have your attorney write her a demand letter.

If she still doesn't let you then you need to return to court for a show cause (which you may lose based on the facts you presented here.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">