• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entitlement of UM monies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I'm from Florida and was involved in an accident where I was hit by another motorist (his fault) who did not carry bodily injury insurance. My PIP was exhausted, and the remainder of my medical was picked up by my health insurance. Now my uninsured motorist is wanting to settle and pay my lost wages, pain and suffering, and disability, but my health insurance wants to claim this money to repay any medical they paid, which would total over the limits of my uninsured motorist. Do I have any recourse or rights to any of this money?

Check your Health Insurance policy (contract). Most of these policies allow them to recover what they paid out from any settlement proceeds you will or have received.

Your best hope is that the UM adjuster can negotiate down the re-imbursement amount so you can atleast recover your lost wages and out of pocket.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential