• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

equal benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

javagirl71

What is the name of your state? Oregon. I have worked for a non-profit company, as a cook, for the last 61/2 years. I average about 35 hours a week. During that time, 1 cook was hired part-time, but given benefits because her live-in boyfriend was unemployed and she had a child at home. She was guaranteed 32 hours a week to be able to receive the benefits. Another cook was hired part-time without benefits. She went through a divorce and was losing her husbands benefits. She told the company she would have to leave if she couldn't have benefits. The company guaranteed her 32 hours a week and gave her the benefits. They also gave her a title of Assistant Food Manager, which no one on staff including the new administrator, the Food Manager, or the employee herself new about. My questions are, do I have any right to ask for benefits?, and am I being discriminated against because I have a husband who works and has benefits? I average more hours than either of these employees, and do much more of the workload.

Beth3

do I have any right to ask for benefits? Yes. It sounds as though your employer's group health plan defines an eligible participant as an employee who regularly works at least 32 hours/week. You likely should have been offered participation long ago.

and am I being discriminated against because I have a husband who works and has benefits? Discrimination isn't the issue here - a possible violation of the company's group health plan document is, which would be a violation of federal regulations that govern employer-sponsored benefit plans. If your employer refuses to offer you coverage, you may contact the federal Department of Labor and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">