• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equifax and problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Onceagain33

Colorado

i could not seem to find a category this fit into. Please move it if this is a wrong guess.

in early March of this year I received a post card (folded for privacy) from equifax. It stated that there were 8 or more inquiries into my credit file during the last year. I found that to be alarming since that credit file has been frozen ever since that big data breach back in 2016.

I tried to call them on their number provided. But, ran into an issue...my phone was stolen a year ago, so the phone number they have for me does not match my current number. So, I opted to answer the questions instead. It asked me about store credit cards ...I have none, and I haven’t had one in more than 30 years. It asked me about car loans...again, I have none and have not had one in more than 40 years. It asked me about personal loans...never had one. It the refused me access!! Now I am really worried.

i wrote a long letter...explained all this, provided all the info asked of me....addresses for the last 5 years, copy of drivers license ...etc.

got 2 strange replies back both arriving on the same day: First one was a folded post card, it claimed I didn’t provide the infomation they need to assist me. The second one was a letter...in it they stated that an inquiry was opened into my dispute and they would contact the vendor(???) and the following page details the nature of my dispute.....except there was no other page in that letter. What dispute? What vendor? What?

i wrote another letter, and attached a copy of the first letter. Asking what the heck? I included new photo copies of all my data..enlarged incase they couldn’t read it. I also asked for a copy of my credit report....I am entitled to one free copy a year.

I got back another form letter saying they are investigating my dispute and will contact me after a reply from the vendor...the same letter I got the first time. No response to my request for both my credit report and an explanation for the original post card.

I am being completely ignored! It looks like no human is actually reading a darn thing I write. Further, I am denied access to my credit file...and have no idea...am I the victim of identity theft? I know I have opened no line of credit for years....yet, apparently I got the answer to those questions wrong according to their records. And finally, how could any of this happen in the first place...my credit file has been frozen for the last 4 years.

how do I get them to actually pay attention to my issues? How do I find out what they have allowed to happen to my credit.

thank you for your help in this.

FlyingRon

You're entitled to ONE free copy of your credit report per year (unless you have something that says you were denied based on their report). Alleging that you are the subject of identity theft isn't sufficient. When you protest inquiries, they are supposed to verify them with the requestor. That's what they are doing.

As to the apparent unfreezing, you need to indicate what state you are residing in. Note that the freeze only stops your credit info being sent in response to an inquiry. It doesn't necessarily block the fact that the inquiry happened.

Did you follow Experian's procedure to the identity theft to the letter?

Onceagain33

Flyingron....I did note what state I live in...Colorado. It’s the first line of my post.

second...I know I am entitled to a free credit report once a year....I was asking equifax for a copy of that report...

now..my whole question is concerning how do I get them to respond to me? Letters have had NO effect. I cannot call them. Please read my post, I fear I am the subject of identify theft caused by equifax negligence.....how do I get them to give me the information I am asking for? Do I go to a different federal agency to force them to respond? How do I do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The problem that the OP is going to have with getting the free report(s) is that he can't prove who he is to Equifax. I don't know if he's tried the others, but he should.

PayrollHRGuy

I haven't done my annual check this year but I don't remember the system asking me about any CC debts I might have. They asked for addresses I've been associated with and maybe my past home loan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I haven't done my annual check this year but I don't remember the system asking me about any CC debts I might have. They asked for addresses I've been associated with and maybe my past home loan.
Each of the bureaus has their own system for verifying your identity. If you can't verify at the first level, then they go deeper. You were probably verified at the first level, so didn't get to the point that additional information was required.

quincy

I have had problems accessing my free credit report in the past, generally because the answers I provide to the questions apparently do not match the answers that they have. I have to send away for a copy of the report.

I can understand the frustration if the credit report is inaccessible even after sending away for the report. I have had no issues with getting my Equifax report but I always have problems with TransUnion.

adjusterjack

how do I get them to respond to me?
Write directly to the CEO at the corporate HQ address:

https://corporateofficeheadquarters.org/equifax/

He won't see it but a high level corporate assistant will and, at least, you may be dealing with a human being who might contact you personally. Provide your email address and phone number.

There are some possible corporate email addresses at the following site if you want to give that a shot first:

https://elliott.org/company-contacts/equifax/

Onceagain33

Took your advise and wrote to equifax headquarters. Included copies of all the previous correspondence with their offices in Atlanta.

how long do you figure I will have to wait? Sent letter certified on July 16. It arrived on July 20th according to the post office.

quincy

Took your advise and wrote to equifax headquarters. Included copies of all the previous correspondence with their offices in Atlanta.

how long do you figure I will have to wait? Sent letter certified on July 16. It arrived on July 20th according to the post office.
There is no way to give you any answer to that question that would not be just a guess.

You can/should follow up the letter with a phone call, though.

Onceagain33

Should have asked....how long would it be proper to wait for a response before taking action? Not sure what that might be, however.

quincy

Should have asked....how long would it be proper to wait for a response before taking action? Not sure what that might be, however.
It depends. An action you can take now is to report the identity theft to the FTC, accessible in the link provided to you by PayrollHRGuy earlier.

Depending on the response from Equifax, there might not be any other action necessary. It is probably a bit too soon after you sent your letter to expect a response.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">