• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ER procedures upon recent discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tstynes

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I recently had an abdominal hysterectomy. A few days after I was discharged (3 to be exact) I was taken into the emergency room with severe pain to my left kidney. After a full day of being in the ER, it was finally determined that I had an obstruction in my left ureter. There was talk that it could be a misplaced stitch, but they think that it was just inflamation.

My question is this... As soon as I got into the ER I asked for my OBGYN to be contacted because he had a concern just a few days earlier, and I felt that his input could be very important. I had expected them to at least contact the residents on-call for that department. The response that I got was that they don't call other doctors until they have something to tell them. I repeated this request to EVERY single person that entered my emergency room. Finally, in the afternoon, I called a friend of mine, who contacted my OBGYN personally. Should they not have contacted them as soon as I told them I had just gotten discharged, and that this pain started right after my surgery?

I know that if I would be arrested, and the second I asked for an attorney, they would have to get one for me. Does the same principle apply to Emergency rooms? :confused:

panzertanker

tstynes said:
I know that if I would be arrested, and the second I asked for an attorney, they would have to get one for me. Does the same principle apply to Emergency rooms? :confused:
Nope. It is of course smart to contact the surgeon who performed the recent surgery, but NOT required.

The truth is, until some testing could be done, there was nothing to tell your OB/GYN other than "she is your recent TAH, and hurts."
Testing is needed to gain a clear picture. The ED staff are under no obligation to contact anyone. Professionalism usually mandates that the primary physician would be included in the care if needed, but again, is NOT mandatory.

Take care.

pojo2

Curious, after your friend contacted your OBGYN did he or she rush right over? Of did they call and see what was going on and at that time something WAS known and they dropped by?

tstynes

My friend and my OBGYN were in an outlying building. As soon as my friend talked to my doctor, he immediately called the senior resident in the hospital to get involved right away. As soon as my doctor was done with his last patient, he came to the ER to see me. He also stayed involved all night, even to the point of being by my bedside at 11:00 pm when I was finally admitted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">