• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Errant information found in background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Musicgenius

Dallas County, Texas

I have a felony conviction on ny record, but background checks conducted on me reveal a charge different than the one I committed and on which I was convicted. How can I have this information corrected?

adjusterjack

Dallas County, Texas

I have a felony conviction on ny record, but background checks conducted on me reveal a charge different than the one I committed and on which I was convicted. How can I have this information corrected?
I'd say your first step is to review your case file and make sure what you think you were convicted for is actually what you were convicted for.

Also examine the online docket to make sure the docket reflects the proper conviction because the background checks may just be picking up the docket information and not what's in the case file.

If the docket is different from the case file, you'll probably need to go to court to get the docket corrected.

If the docket is the same as the case file and the case file is correct, you'll have to find the source of the error which might or might not be the company that did the background check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">