• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estae ques.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bqz

What is the name of your state? indinana
My neighbor has left my wife and I part of her estate.I recieved a letter stating that evrthing is in probate and that the court is not overseeing it.What does that mean in leagal terms and what should I be doing to make sure everthing is on the up and up?The estate Rep. is also the Attorney of the lady who died,Iwas told that she left us her life insurance,is this part of the estate ?
Also,what kind of taxes are there and if someone might know ,How much are they?What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

You have nothing to worry about. Life insurance money passes outside of the estate. So you should expect to be receiving your checks from the insurance company within a month or two, if not sooner.

bqz

Thank you,Now what about the estate it self we are supposed to recieve 75% of that as well.How does all of that part work and should I be watchful of anything that may not be right?

Dandy Don

How did you find out you were supposed to receive 75% of the estate--were you told that by the executor or have you seen the will? If you have not seen the will, then you need to ask for one from the executor, OR go to the county courthouse probate court and ask to see if it has been filed yet and if so, then get a copy there.

It is a bit unusual for this to be handled outside of probate court, unless all of the assets have you or your wife designated as beneficiaries. After you get a copy of the will, or if one is not provided for you, I would be consulting a probate attorney to represent your interests and to make sure everything is being handled correctly.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

bqz

I was told by the Attorney himself and have seen the will and insurance papers showing what we are to recieve .Have not asked for a copy yet ,was kind of afraid too, thought it might upset the attorney (perhaps thinking I don't trust him)and then make things hard for me.

I have recieved a paper in the mail that concerns me it said

"NOTICE OF UNSUPERVISED ADMINISTRATION ".
1.ALSO SAID" ADMIN.CAN TAKE ACTION WITHOUT MY APPROVAL".
2.MY BE SERVING WITHOUT BOND.
3."WILL NOT ABTAIN COURT APPROVAL OF ANY ACTION CONCERNING ATTORNEY FEES OR PERSONAL REP.FEES.
It also states he must give me an account of the estate inventory with in 2 months,plus some other rights I have as a beneficiary.That's way I'm asking a lot of questions I want to make sure things are done right and know what's happening.
I believe the attorney is honest but just want to keep him that way,so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.Really can't afford to hire one myself and again don't want to rock the boat so to speak, at this time.So any advice you might have I will gladly take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">