• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michael600

What is the name of your state?
I am located in California

My late wife and I bought a house together before we became husbsnd and wife in1993, The title by presumption is tenants in common.

We became husband and wife in January 1993.

My late wife had two children from a previous marriage who are now adults.

To offset the loss of my wife's income I started renting rooms in the home, we bought and lived together in. In April of 1997 I rented one room and then two starting in March of 1997 to the present. I understand that a portion of the profits will be due to my late wife's daughters, but my question is would the increased value of the home since my late wife's death become part of the estate since it is now part of a business, even though that busines did not exist at the date of her death? And if the incresed value is part of the estate, Then since I am only renting half of the house would only half the value be considered into the estate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">