• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theone2432

What is the name of your state?CA

I have a question about taxes on inheritances. My wife and I are set to inherit land here in southern CA. Does anyone know how much the taxes will be % wise and the best way to pay as little as necessary? Thanks!

WD.

abezon

You will pay CA & federal taxes on the gain (selling price - costs of sale - fair market value on the date of the former owner's death). Your max tax rate is 15% for federal taxes.

Ways to reduce the taxes include: (1) sell quickly so that any increase in value from the decedent's death to the selling date is eaten up by selling costs; (2) Build a house on the land & live there for 2 years before selling & exclude up to $500,000 of gains; (3) sell using an owner-financed contract & spread the gains out over a few years to avoid spiking your income.

Snipes5

Inheritance isn't taxed to the heirs unless it would have been taxable to the deceased.

The taxes will be incurred when you sell it, unless you either sell quickly, or live in it for two years and then sell.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">