• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandy Don

Where did you see this phrase mentioned? It means the most closely related family/next-of-kin to the deceased, including spouse, children.

obrien7087

Yes, this has to do with the previous question. We are having trouble with my fathers wife spending money from his estate. This small insurance policy is all we have left and we cannot bear to see this little bit go out the window with the rest. The letter that I received in the mail stated "Any document showing legal survivor of (deceased) estate. I guess this is her. Is there anyway we can get that money?

Dandy Don

You need to get more information from the insurance company about this--why would they have sent you this letter? Are they telling you they have already paid out the money to the spouse or are they asking you to provide some type of documentation to prove that you are related to the decedent?

anteater

This is why it is best to keep all your posts on one subject in one thread.
My father died in June and my Grandmother had a small insurance policy for him. The beneficiary is my Grandfather who died several years before...
Let's see if the facts are correct:

Your Grandmother was the policy owner.
Your Father was the insured.
Your Grandfather was the beneficiary.

Is that right?

If it is, I don't see how the proceeds would be paid to your father's estate. The insured does not become the beneficiary because the designated policy beneficiary passes away.

Dandy Don

She may be thinking that perhaps father's estate might inherit if the money is paid to the legal heirs of grandfather's(his father's) estate, and the only way to know for sure is to consult with an attorney who knows the state law and can get more information on how the insurance company is handling this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">