• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estranged for 14 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mycarlb

What is the name of your state? New York

I ran away from my husband 14 years ago to escape abuse - both of my daughters and myself. He was adjudicated as a sex offender in family court in 1992 and I haven't seen or heard from him since. I want a divorce so I can remarry, but the last time I sent the paperwork, it was returned to sender. I have very little money and wonder about these advertisements for 1 signature divorces... I don't want to spend $375 on a scam.

Can anyone tell me how I can divorce this creep without having to find him. I am so glad I don't know where he is... I just hope he doesn't know where we are either, would like to keep it that way.

Julianna

CandiceH

Julianna, in the past few days I have come across many laws pertaining to divorce in NY state. Go down to the superior court, get the divorce packet (it is free), file in court (you will have to pay for this). If you have proof that your husband can not be located there are ways around this. You should be able to find an attorney in your area who can give you a free consulation - I have. I wish I kept track of the websites where I found all of this information but there is also information about this in the divorce packet that you will receive from Superior Court. I hope that this helps some and good luck.

BelizeBreeze

Service by Publication is covered under CPL 315 and 316.

However, due to the complexity of the requirements you cannot hope to prevail doing this yourself.

Save your money and hire an attorney to serve notice complying with the Statutes.

mycarlb

Belize, I guess I am a little confused... by served to you mean we have to try and find him? or is this something the lawyer does to show that we cannot find him? I am terrified to have him know where I live again. If they have to serve him, is there a way to block out my information? If I can show proof of his past and what he did to my children?

Thanks

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

mycarlb said:
Belize, I guess I am a little confused... by served to you mean we have to try and find him? or is this something the lawyer does to show that we cannot find him? I am terrified to have him know where I live again. If they have to serve him, is there a way to block out my information? If I can show proof of his past and what he did to my children?

Thanks
your address won't be on the summons, it will reference the court. But if you are scared from that point or any through this process then you DEFINATELY need an attorney. This is NOT something you want to try alone with a limited amount of legal background.

LdiJ

I would also add my urging to BB's. An attorney can handle this without too much complication, but it would be extremely difficult for you to do on your own. Save up the money.

Laura

mycarlb

Thank you!!

I want to thank you all for your kindness and advise. I most definately save my money and do this right!

You have an incredible webpage here... keep up all your great work and God Bless you all!!!

Julianna

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">