• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ethical Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goodfella

What is the name of your state? TN

When I interviewed for my current job, the subject of educational background never came up. I spoke with 4 different people in the company and no one ever asked me about it. My resume noted that I only attended college from 1979 - 1980 with no mention of any degree earned.
Because of my past experience in the industry, I was more than qualified for the position. I got the job, moved my family and have been here for almost a year.

Recently, I checked my bio on the company website and whoever wrote it chose to state that I had a degree from the college noted on my resume. I notified the web person and had her re-word the bio without letting on as to why. Then, at a meeting, the boss introduces me to the staff as having graduated from the University of my old state.

My question: Should I come clean and correct the misconception that I have a degree? Or should I not open this can of worms?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

JETX

Goodfella said:
Should I come clean and correct the misconception that I have a degree? Or should I not open this can of worms?
Was there a LEGAL question in there somewhere?? After all, this is a LEGAL advice site!!

turbowray

hmmm

Dont open a can of worms here. You never stated that you graduated though you obviously did a good job of wording it to make them think you did,but you did after all ask them to change the bio so your half way trying lol. If your boss asks you later,dont lie! If he gets angry because you had them believe that you graduated,you can simply say i didnt realize and if i truely did know that is what you thought,i would not have had the bio changed at my request for you to see and me get in trouble...the other poster is right though,there was no legal question here??????

Gadfly

A company that would lie about you will also lie to you. Your "ethical" question should be, "Do I want to continue to work for these people?" If your answer is 'yes,' then you're no better than they are.

turbowray

gadfly

i dont know if the company knew they were lying when they said he graduated...i dont even know if the poster knows if he left that impression even if he didnt say it out right lol...maybe the poster could answer that? Did the man who said you were a graduate outright lying or did he really believe that you did graduate even though you didnt say it? :)

S

shell007

I would also have to assume that the employer:

A. did not look at the resume closely since it would sound like the OP managed to get a 4-year-college education in ONE YEAR OR LESS. 1979-1980.

or

B. Did read the resume correctly and already knows, but doesn't really care.

Goodfella

From Gadfly:
A company that would lie about you will also lie to you. Your "ethical" question should be, "Do I want to continue to work for these people?" If your answer is 'yes,' then you're no better than they are.
OP here...
Well, I don't think anyone's lying about my education. I think there were assumptions made and some wishful thinking.

Shellandty is probably correct:
I would also have to assume that the employer:

A. did not look at the resume closely since it would sound like the OP managed to get a 4-year-college education in ONE YEAR OR LESS. 1979-1980.
If I believe some of my junk email, I probably COULD get a bacherlor's degree in less than a year.

turbowray

Lol

Even i didnt read close enough to notice that you did mention only going to school for a year lol! Guess he really didnt pay enough attention,or only picked up on bits and pieces of conversation and turned it into alot more than it was lol...good luck guy!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">