• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ethics of Linkedin endorsements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Here's a question for my fellows. I have quite a few endorsement on Linkin from people with no factual basis to make such an endorsement. Is it unethical to allow the endorsement to remain there.

For example: If I was endorsed by someone for litigation and I have never performed that task for or around the endorser, is it unethical to allow it to remain on my linkedin page? Does it matter if I solicited endorsements or never solicited endorsements?

Personally, I lean toward removal, but I am not sure how to remove individual endorsements or if it is even possible. I know you can turn that section off, but I'm hoping to avoid going that route. For the lawyers on the list - have you heard of any Bar issues with endorsements that are not accurate? And don't those endorsements raise potential rule violations for advertising and false statements?

DC

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Here's a question for my fellows. I have quite a few endorsement on Linkin from people with no factual basis to make such an endorsement. Is it unethical to allow the endorsement to remain there.

For example: If I was endorsed by someone for litigation and I have never performed that task for or around the endorser, is it unethical to allow it to remain on my linkedin page? Does it matter if I solicited endorsements or never solicited endorsements?

Personally, I lean toward removal, but I am not sure how to remove individual endorsements or if it is even possible. I know you can turn that section off, but I'm hoping to avoid going that route. For the lawyers on the list - have you heard of any Bar issues with endorsements that are not accurate? And don't those endorsements raise potential rule violations for advertising and false statements?

DC
I would lean toward removal, as well.

Although Rule 7.1(b) of the Missouri Rules of Professional Conduct concerns communications made by the lawyer and not those made about the lawyer, I think it could be viewed as unethical for a lawyer to leave in place any false or misleading communication about the lawyer's services that, as (b) outlines, is likely to create an unjustified expectation about results the lawyer can achieve.

That said, I haven't made note of any Bar Opinion on this.

quincy

DC, the same question you ask here was addressed in an ABA Journal article, May 21, 2013 - "Do LinkedIn Endorsements Violate Legal Ethics" written by Rachel M. Zahorsky.

Cited in the article was the same 7.1 Rule I mentioned, with essentially the same advice (remove or hide the false endorsements). The responses to the article are interesting.

There is also a comprehensive article written by Michael Downey, "Navigating LinkedIn Ethically and Effectively," published originally in "St. Louis Lawyer" in July of 2013. He mentions Rule 4-8.4(c) and Rule 4-7.1.

(I tried to provide direct links but failed - you can locate the articles through their titles)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">