• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicted from Apt in Provo, UT..Landlord wants to keep charging rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bubba_Love

I was evicted for violating the terms of my lease (I allowed my girlfriend to come into my apt after hours). This is a valid reason for eviction according to my lease, and I do not dispute that. The problem is, the property management folks claim that I have to keep paying rent until they can re-rent the apartment. There is a clause in my contract that contains the following:

...If Landlord re-enters the premises in accordance with this paragraph or any other provisions authorizing forfeiture, the Landlord shall use his or her best effort to re-rent the premises on reasonable terms and the student agrees to pay Landlord any differences between rent agreed herein and rent collected from re-rental of the premises for the remaining term of this lease....

I have been told by "Dorm Lawyers" that this clause is unenforceable, and illegal. They say since I wasn't evicted for Faliure to Pay, that the Management can not force me to pay rent and must refund my prepaid rent and and deposits according to Utah State Law. Of course, no one can point out where I find this on the books. I have looked myself, but can't find anything either way.

I would appreciate any help on the matter, because I can't afford to pay rent on two apartments, and my old place probably will not rent before the lease expires at the end of the spring semester.

Thanks,

Bubba

HomeGuru

First check to see if dorm rentals must follow the L/T laws. In some States, the schools are exempt.

B

Bubba_Love

I didn't live in a dorm per se, I lived in BYU approved housing. The University doesn't own the property, they just set standards on where students can live. I will check into whether or not my property is protected by this status as soon as I can.

Thanks for the response,

Bubba

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">