• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicted from home without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chappy

Virginia
My mother was evicted from where she had lived for 20+ years on December 19, 2019. The City has owned the property since 2005. The last lease/rental agreement she sign was 2005. I lived there with my Special Needs child from December 2013 til August 2019. No mail ever came to house from the City, no letters, no calls, etc during the entire time I was also living there. I do not understand how the city was able to go into court in November 2019 and be granted 6 years rent and immediate possession. The City boarded up the house, re-keyed locks, denying her access to over 10K in personal belongings.
Can they do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Virginia
My mother was evicted from where she had lived for 20+ years on December 19, 2019. The City has owned the property since 2005. The last lease/rental agreement she sign was 2005. I lived there with my Special Needs child from December 2013 til August 2019. No mail ever came to house from the City, no letters, no calls, etc during the entire time I was also living there. I do not understand how the city was able to go into court in November 2019 and be granted 6 years rent and immediate possession. The City boarded up the house, re-keyed locks, denying her access to over 10K in personal belongings.
Can they do this?
The answer to "Can they do this?" is, obviously, yes, as evidenced by the fact that they DID do it.
Your mother will want to go to the court and look at the file to understand what happened. She may also wish to speak to an attorney. You, however, have no dog in this fight.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Virginia
So it's possible your Mom received notice of the eviction proceedings after you left?

And you say they were granted 6 years of rent -- had she not paid rent?

Chappy

The answer to "Can they do this?" is, obviously, yes, as evidenced by the fact that they DID do it.
Your mother will want to go to the court and look at the file to understand what happened. She may also wish to speak to an attorney. You, however, have no dog in this fight.
I understand I have no as you wrote "dog in this fight". I simply was asking the question because this has never happened before and I am just trying to help my elderly mother. There is no need for you to be rude to me. Thank you for your answer. Hope you have a nice evening.

Just Blue

I understand I have no as you wrote "dog in this fight". I simply was asking the question because this has never happened before and I am just trying to help my elderly mother. There is no need for you to be rude to me. Thank you for your answer. Hope you have a nice evening.
Zig wasn't rude.

Was your mother paying rent or squatting on the property?

Chappy

So it's possible your Mom received notice of the eviction proceedings after you left?

And you say they were granted 6 years of rent -- had she not paid rent?
She only received the notice they posted the day they boarded up the house. I found out this afternoon all the paperwork filed with court is under a different name. Only lease she ever signed was in 2005.

quincy

Why was the house boarded up if not condemned?

What are the city’s plans for the property?

Chappy

Why was the house boarded up if not condemned?

What are the city’s plans for the property?
I'm not sure why they boarded up the house. I have asked and my mother has asked. No answer was given. According to the man who has spoken with me the city is going to sell it.

quincy

I'm not sure why they boarded up the house. I have asked and my mother has asked. No answer was given. According to the man who has spoken with me the city is going to sell it.
I think that you and your mother are not getting straight answers.

Here are links to organizations in Virginia that offer free or low-cost legal assistance to senior citizens:

https://www.vda.virginia.gov/planninglegalservices.htm

https://vplc.org/advocacy/family-advocacy/elder-law/

https://www.valegalaid.org/issues/elder-law

You can assist your mom in finding an attorney who can get some answers for her (and some help).

Chappy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">