• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting an Illegal Tenant Who Doesn't Pay Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gandalf1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Los Angeles County

Hello Everyone,

I am posting on behalf of my brother - I would like some advice to help him get rid of this headache he's been dealing with.

Two years ago my brother began renting an illegal unit (converted garage with window, bathroom, sink, etc.) to a now former friend. The garage is at a duplex income property my brother owns. A few months ago the tenant began paying whatever he wanted for rent, sometimes $200, sometimes $300, instead of the agreed upon $650. He always promised he would pay the difference but never did. Meanwhile the tenant was buying expensive new electronics and music equipment. Last month the tenant completely stopped paying rent. Since then my brother has been asking him kindly to leave - my brother even offered to pay the tenant $5,000 to relocate. Just this week the tenant stated to my brother over the phone that he was never going to leave and he would milk my brother in court for all he is worth. My brother consulted with an attorney and the attorney basically said that according to California law my brother would have to pay the tenant a $10,000 relocation fee, as well as the last two year's rent in order to evict him. So my brother is looking at paying this scum about $30,000 (plus legal fees) just to kick him out of the unit.

Is this the correct interpretation of the law? Is there anything my brother can do to get rid of this guy?

Thanks in advance.

justalayman

so, this guy, who was renting an illegal apartment from your brother is scum because he figured out a way to best your brother since your brother has been breaking the law for years?

this is kind of the pot calling the kettle black the way I see it.

if the lawyer said that is what it will take, then I would suggest writing a check and being done with it.

STEPHAN

The advice from the lawyer sounds really strange. There must be additional information that you have not covered.

Have you brother join the forum and let him write here.

It is a big hassle to evaluate this through a third person (you).

Gail in Georgia

Relocation fees in Los Angeles (and why I'd never be a landlord in California)

http://www.yourlegalcorner.com/articles.asp?id=142&cat=land

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">