• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction after death of sweatheart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Demigh0d

What is the name of your state? California

I'm posting this for a friend. The man she had been living with for 15+ years
was in an accident and passed away. They had been working on a trust but
the death happened before it was finished. The house is in his name only.

His family(Who live on the east coast), which neither were close to, have taken over. They are evicting her and have told her to leave EVERYTHING.

What are her legal rights. Does she have any recourse?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Demigh0d said:
What is the name of your state? California

I'm posting this for a friend. The man she had been living with for 15+ years
was in an accident and passed away. They had been working on a trust but
the death happened before it was finished. The house is in his name only.

His family(Who live on the east coast), which neither were close to, have taken over. They are evicting her and have told her to leave EVERYTHING.

What are her legal rights. Does she have any recourse?

Thanks

My response:

She needs an attorney. Her issues are too deep and complicated to review and discuss on a message board. I'd have to go into her complete history in this relationship, and that's for an in-person discussion and consultation.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

I will say this, however. This post is a perfect example of why, from a legal standpoint, marriage is so important. Without a marriage, a couple living together have no rights to each other's estates, and have virtually no protections under the law. There are exceptions to this rule, but like I said, I'd have to get into a historical discussion, and it's way too complicated for a message board.

IAAL

ErinGoBragh

My brother passed away and only had the house in his name. His girlfriend of 3 years is currently living here, but was looking 2 weeks before he passed because they broke up. She refuses to leave but didnt pay the mortgage. We dont care about the stuff inside, she can take it all we just all want her out. How can we do this? Also, she's doing meth inside and my husband saw it with his own eyes to make matters worse!
Please start your own thread. You are necroposting, which is not allowed.

Banned_Princess

You lectured an individual who posted in 2005.
Oh no, the poster who opened this old thread, must have deleted her post.

Who's problem cleared itself up, when hours after the question was asked, the woman staying in the dead young mans house, went to jail for driving with and on meth.

Last edited:

Patse3839

waited too long - now too late (literally)

why oh why do people say things like 'lived together for 15 years and were going to get a will/living agreemtn/etc.' then cry about it later.
Too late and so long is the only recourse, she can take her personal belongings but as to furniture and possessions? best have a receipt in her name or the family can sue for cost

Hot Topic

People want to "play house," then go to court and have some judge look over a list of items and rule who gets the blue cup and who gets the white one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">