• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction after separation from spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KMorgan

Not having a lease just makes things worse for you. Your husband and/or your husbands landlord can legally evict you.
Ok...thank you for replying back.
Why would you think you have to be "on the lease" to be evicted? The eviction process is the legal remedy to get a tenant/squatter out of your property ...lease or no lease.

Do everything in your power to avoid an eviction. A eviction on your record will all but guarantee you will never be able to rent a decent property for many years.
Ok..I've never been in a situation such as this & I've heard so many different things & wasn't sure. I will contact the landlord immediately & tell her I will be out by weekend to avoid an eviction. Thank you so much for replying back & helping me.

Just Blue

Ok...thank you for replying back.

Ok..I've never been in a situation such as this & I've heard so many different things & wasn't sure. I will contact the landlord immediately & tell her I will be out by weekend to avoid an eviction. Thank you so much for replying back & helping me.
Do you have a place to go that quickly?

zddoodah

Is there anything I can do or if I do have to move...how long would I have?
If you're on a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord can evict you any time he/she/it sees fit. Typically, you'd get 30 days' notice, but you can google that. You may as well start preparing to move because the landlord probably will eventually give you a proper notice.

FarmerJ

your LL can say all they want until they are blue in the face BUT until you are given a proper written notice that meets your states laws for month to month tenants and month to month tenancy is also defined by your state , not having a written lease doesnt mean that there is no tenancy , As far as your husband goes you didnt say how long ago he moved out but even if he has been gone for a week or even a month I doubt he would be received well by a judge if he actually tried to file for a eviction to get you out since he cant argue he sublet to his wife , I think it would make him look foolish in court .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">