• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction asap!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp100

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Evanston, Illinois

I informed my landlord of my inability to pay rent before the start of my renewed lease and asked to be released, I signed the lease over 2 months ago. He refused. The renewed lease has just started and I am late on paying the rent. He sent me a ten day notice. I will not have the money for last months and this months rent in ten days. Therefore, I know he will start the eviction proceedings. He stated that he will ask for a judgement for the whole term of the lease (12 months). Can he do that?

BL

needhelp100 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Evanston, Illinois

I informed my landlord of my inability to pay rent before the start of my renewed lease and asked to be released, I signed the lease over 2 months ago. He refused. The renewed lease has just started and I am late on paying the rent. He sent me a ten day notice. I will not have the money for last months and this months rent in ten days. Therefore, I know he will start the eviction proceedings. He stated that he will ask for a judgement for the whole term of the lease (12 months). Can he do that?
He can ask but If he re-rents it , you are not responsible from the time it's re-rented . He should be able to re-rent it within 10 months .

Also , why have you not tried to sublet ?

needhelp100

The terms he is offering for the sublet are making it hard. He does not want to include an option for renewal once the lease is complete, he says that a sublease cannot take place until I have paid for all damages to the apartment, he says he will not know damages until after he inspects the unit therefore, I cannot even give a date of when the apartment is available for sublease. He will not inspect the unit until I find subletters. My previous neighboors moved out before the end of their lease and did a sublet he then charged them $1,000 over the amount of the security deposit for "damages" caused by the subletters. When they asked to see the damages he said he had already fixed them. The subletters denied making damages. He also found "damages" to the apartment before the sublet began and took the money out of the security deposit and required the tenants to make up the difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">