• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction in Ga

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiffany4me

I met this guy a few months ago who lived alone. He just lost his wife and his mom and was really depressed. I was in a situation where i was previously living and i needed to move. So it seemed like we could both help each other. He asked me if i would consider moving in with him as friends and help him get his house back in order, it would have probably been considered unlivable in its current state. He said i would not have to pay any rent or bills but i would have to do everything else as far as taking care of the home. I made it very clear to him that I didnt have any family living and not many people to count on so if i move in with him unless he has good reason he cant just throw me out because i have nowhere to go. He said as long as I hold up my end I didnt have anything to worry about. That i would have my own room and come and go as i please in a respectful manner. Well 2 months later, which is now, he wants me to be his girlfriend and because i dont want the same thing he says i have to get out. He is be very ugly to me, making threats, i got mail today and he threw it at me and hit me in the face. Im scared to leave because he said he is putting my stuff out with i do. I hate being somewhere im not wanted but i have nowhere to go and im not working. Nothing is in writing but i do have letters he has wrote me and several text messages to back up everything ive stated. I also have before and after pictures of the house. Is there anything i can do here?

Gail in Georgia

Can he simply toss you out? Not if you are considered a tenant. However, since you have paid no rent and signed no lease you are unlikely to prove to any court in Georgia (which tends to be a very landlord friendly state) that you have established a "tenant" relationship here. At best it is likely you can be considered a guest that has overstayed their welcome and, if a court hearing is held you would likely be given a very short amount of time to vacate this place.

Might I suggest you gain some independence for yourself by getting a job (even if you have to walk or ride a bike to get to work), find your own small place to rent and stop hopping from residence to residence depending on others for a place to lay your head. Moving in with essentially a stranger you've barely known as a "friend" rarely works out for either party and can, at times, become a very dangerous situation.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">