• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KEMAR

My wife, son and I decided to move in to my parents home 6+ years ago to help take care of them and pay their mortgage payment for them.
After 3 years my older brother convinced them to do a reverse mortgage. We were told we had a year from parents death/placed in nursing home/ect to buy/sell/vacate the premises.
My dad passed 2 years ago and last month my mom decided to move in with my brother. They are now telling me and my family to get out of the house so they can sell it. There is no contract, we did this 6+ years ago to help them out...what are my options?

Just Blue

My wife, son and I decided to move in to my parents home 6+ years ago to help take care of them and pay their mortgage payment for them.
After 3 years my older brother convinced them to do a reverse mortgage. We were told we had a year from parents death/placed in nursing home/ect to buy/sell/vacate the premises.
My dad passed 2 years ago and last month my mom decided to move in with my brother. They are now telling me and my family to get out of the house so they can sell it. There is no contract, we did this 6+ years ago to help them out...what are my options?
What state?

reenzz

Your options are to move or wait to be evicted throught the courts. Keep in mind that having an eviction on your background will make it extreamly difficult to rent elsewhere.

FlyingRon

Yep, you have little choice. The reverse mortgage is called when the homeowners are no longer residing in the house. A "contract" wouldn't have changed this.

adjusterjack

They are now telling me and my family to get out of the house so they can sell it. There is no contract, we did this 6+ years ago to help them out...what are my options?
Only one. Move out.

The only question is when. In most states a 30 day written notice is required. California is 60 days due to the number of years you lived there. Some states are less that 30 days. Hence the question about your state.

LdiJ

Your other option of course would be to make a fair market value offer to buy the house. I understand that you paid the mortgage for a period of time but once the reverse mortgage came into play you of course were not making a mortgage payment and the reverse mortgage loan now controls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">