• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I read thru some of the change there in NY ,. part of what puzzles me was when it talked about a pre move out inspection and tenants now to be given the chance to correct issues the LL finds , maybe I didn't read far enough in but what I did not see was a time restraint on the tenant to correct , so say a LL wrote a pre move out report and listed every area that needed cleaning EG inside windows , radiators , wall washing, inside or kitchen cabs and all light fixtures and say insides of bathroom cabs (because of soap scum from leaking bottles) so what I didn't see was a time frame for tenant to complete , only that a LL had to allow the tenant to the chance to do it first . so I didn't see a definition as when it must be completed or anything that restricted a tenants rights to make other repairs before moving out and If there was no time line then might a tenant argue that LL didn't allow enough time because say they were still moving out on last day of the month and then claimed they were going to come back on the first early in the morning but by then they find the locks were changed by LL and they couldn't get in. ( so again I didn't go further into the reading ) ALSO I saw that they wanted to end LLs collecting first last and deposit. I am absolutely positive that baring a last month in advance rent collection is going to prevent tenants with poor credit or even tenants with slightly older evictions from securing housing since a landlord will have lost that tool. Im aware that politicians do what they do most of the time to keep the voting public from ousting them especially when it comes to landlord tenant issues they will enact laws that create more blowback to tenants. Minneapolis MN has changed the rules enough that I can see it where LLs are going to become more hardened , dig heels in and cease letting things go by that they would not have made a issue of in the past and the city of Mpls will see no improvement in affordable housing and the same result will happen in NY.
The new Act extends the length of time a tenant can remain in a rental unit after breaching its terms and increases the penalties that can be assessed against a landlord should the landlord fail to meet (unreasonable?) deadlines. Collecting both first and last month’s rent is now prohibited.

Landlords are concerned. Tenants should be, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">