• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction, tenant with special needs child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am working on an eviction. Tenant writes me an e-mail:

A judge will not have my children suffer or be put out on the street. They are 10 and 11. My 11 year old son has special needs.
I found nothing about kids or even special needs kids in regards to eviction.

Do you know anything?

Gail in Georgia

I'm going to assume you are doing an eviction due to failure to pay rent, correct?

Having a special needs child is not a LEGAL reason to prevent an eviction due to failure to pay rent.

In fact, it's rather disgusting to use a special needs child as an excuse to live in a rental unit free.

Families have been put out on the street on Christmas eve.

Gail

STEPHAN

Thanks Gail.

Yes, failure to pay rent.

Such a rule would cause the exact opposite: People with special needs children would have a hard time to find a place.

Until today there was never mention of a special needs child, so I don't even know if it is true

FarmerJ

If your tenant lets it go to court thinking that somehow her developmentally disabled child is a get out of eviction card she is wrong at the very best the court might allow her to have the maximum amount of time one can be granted to get out even with a so called hardship ( children, senior citizen , etc) like where I live if someone has kids the courts routinely grant 7 days to vacate and with childless young adults I.ve seen it as little as 24 hours to get out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">