• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex bf bought a TV on my charge acct.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? California.

My ex-boyfriend bought a TV on my charge account at Best Buy 2 yrs ago when we were together. We broke up and I gave him time to pay it off.
After a year I constantly asked him to transfer the balance over to his credit card if he can't pay it all. It's going on a third year and all he does is minimum payments. The bill has been mailed to his home address this whole time.

Is there a way for me to finally make him pay or transfer the balance over? All I have is the receipt of purchase. I could probably get payment history records from the store. The TV is at his house in a different city, but in same state -- California.

Please advice :)

Thank you.


Senior Member
How much time did you give him to pay it off, and how much is owed.

Certainly you can take him to court for the balance.


It's been 2 yrs now.
The balance is around $1900. All he did is make minimum payments, which were interest on the principal.
So, the principal did not get paid off.


Senior Member

Also oral agreement are 2 yrs to file.

Contracts are 4 yrs.

You could try and file where you reside,and state that since the contract was made there,and on your Credit , the case should be heard in your Jurisdiction .

You can not compel the other party to transfer the Balance.

Sue in small claims. If need be Request From the clerk at time of filing , a subpoena signed by the Judge for the records from Best Buy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential