• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Boyfriend ripped me off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

retaildeva

Pennsylvania.

An ex-boyfriend and I reunited about three months ago. I always referred to him as "the love of my life" but I think his new nickname will be "mistake of my life." I have two problems with him that involve money.

1. I invested $5,000 in one of his businesses. We had a paper created with amount lent and how much I would receive on the 30th each month for the next 8 months with interest included. We both signed it and had the document notarized. I was supposed to receive my first payment on November 30th---I have received nothing. He knows I need the money to pay my bills, but when I brought up the subject he said there may be a delay because the 30th fell on a Sunday. I have not heard from him for the last couple days and I usually hear from him nearly every day.

2. Because he invested so much money in another one of his businesses he needed $3,000 for his rent (he prepays his rent 3 months at a time so he does not have to sign a lease). He asked me if I could lend him the $3,000 for 2 weeks until the 30th of November. After a lot of reluctance I agreed. I didn't have the physical credit card, but the landlord accepted it over the phone with just me giving the number and expiration date. He was supposed to then draw up a new paper with the new loan and repayment amounts. He never did. Again, he has not repaid me for his rent.

My question is...what can I do to recover my $8,000? As far as the credit card charge goes can I dispute the charge? I don't even know the number or address of the merchant.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Pennsylvania.

An ex-boyfriend and I reunited about three months ago. I always referred to him as "the love of my life" but I think his new nickname will be "mistake of my life." I have two problems with him that involve money.

1. I invested $5,000 in one of his businesses. We had a paper created with amount lent and how much I would receive on the 30th each month for the next 8 months with interest included. We both signed it and had the document notarized. I was supposed to receive my first payment on November 30th---I have received nothing. He knows I need the money to pay my bills, but when I brought up the subject he said there may be a delay because the 30th fell on a Sunday. I have not heard from him for the last couple days and I usually hear from him nearly every day.

2. Because he invested so much money in another one of his businesses he needed $3,000 for his rent (he prepays his rent 3 months at a time so he does not have to sign a lease). He asked me if I could lend him the $3,000 for 2 weeks until the 30th of November. After a lot of reluctance I agreed. I didn't have the physical credit card, but the landlord accepted it over the phone with just me giving the number and expiration date. He was supposed to then draw up a new paper with the new loan and repayment amounts. He never did. Again, he has not repaid me for his rent.

My question is...what can I do to recover my $8,000? As far as the credit card charge goes can I dispute the charge? I don't even know the number or address of the merchant.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It would be considered fraud for you to dispute the charge. You did authorize it. You need to see what the statutory max is in your state and sue him.

It is always a bad idea to loan money to boyfriends or girlfriends.

Correct me if I am wrong,

In the timeline scheme, you loaned him $5,000

Since then his communication with you has drastically altered

He then ask for another $3,000

And even with the hint he might not pay ( Failed to pay by the 30th) , plus the projected skewed communication between one another you still agreed ?

Like one of the other poster said find the statutory max.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">