• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex boyfriend won’t sign quit claim deed without payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

The OP and the ex-boyfriend may be included in any foreclosure proceedings due to their ownership interest.
Yes, but it will have ZERO impact on his credit. It may be a short-term hiccup while the suit is pending, but he'll come out clean after the judgment other than losing his share of the house.

LdiJ

Then she certainly can't afford the cost of a "partition action" that would be necessary to sell the house without your BF's signature.

The obvious alternative to a short sale is to quit paying on the house and let it go to foreclosure.

That will trash your BF's credit for many years to come
. Tell him that.
I think that is definitely something that should be explained to the ex boyfriend. Also, make sure that he understands exactly what a short sale is, so that he realizes that you and your mother are getting nothing out of the sale.

Just Blue

I think that is definitely something that should be explained to the ex boyfriend. Also, make sure that he understands exactly what a short sale is, so that he realizes that you and your mother are getting nothing out of the sale.
I doubt he really cares.

HRZ

Im still back near beginning....NEITHER the OP nor her EX BF have any legal duty to bail out Mom and each is entitled to seek payment for a quit claim deed ...I have no doubt the pot is empty and the ship can sink with or without any help from either of them and nobody will recover a dime from a sunken ship.

Just Blue

Im still back near beginning....NEITHER the OP nor her EX BF have any legal duty to bail out Mom and each is entitled to seek payment for a quit claim deed ...I have no doubt the pot is empty and the ship can sink with or without any help from either of them and nobody will recover a dime from a sunken ship.
It's better for the OP if you read the thread before responding. And quoting what you are commenting on is preferred. :)

LdiJ

The property is being sold as a short sale. Obviously that means that the house is selling for less than what is owed on the mortgage. There is nothing for the OP or her Ex BF to get. If there were actually going to be proceeds, then you would have a valid argument. However, since there are going to be no proceeds, its a moot point.

I am pretty sure that the Ex BF does NOT understand this.

Just Blue

The property is being sold as a short sale. Obviously that means that the house is selling for less than what is owed on the mortgage. There is nothing for the OP or her Ex BF to get. If there were actually going to be proceeds, then you would have a valid argument. However, since there are going to be no proceeds, its a moot point.

I'm pretty sure he does and couldn't care less. :rolleyes:

HRZ

IF there is zero money in the pot and somebody can jawbone $5000 out of another to release a claim to a share of the pot then that person is the sharpest knife in the box.

OP needs to step back and allow this ship to sink?

Just Blue

IF there is zero money in the pot and somebody can jawbone $5000 out of another to release a claim to a share of the pot then that person is the sharpest knife in the box.

OP needs to step back and allow this ship to sink?
metaphorically speaking?

Pppsssttt...HRZ...It's "sharpest knife in the drawer". ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then she certainly can't afford the cost of a "partition action" that would be necessary to sell the house without your BF's signature.

The obvious alternative to a short sale is to quit paying on the house and let it go to foreclosure.

That will trash your BF's credit for many years to come. Tell him that.
No it wouldn't because BF is NOT on the mortgage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You don't comprehend that EX BF does not have to be paid from the proceeds and his request is NOT a moot point. Without his signature, no sale can happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">