• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employer won't release pension!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spinningplates2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois :eek:

I had a pension woth 60K in 2006 but boss stopped giving yearly updates then laid me off on Dec. 17th 2008. He still has not shown me what the plan is woth now and says that he does not have to do anything untill Oct. 2009 because he can make the last payment to the plan late. He compares this to making a late payment on a tax report. He also calims he is the "Plan Manager" but I know that he was not always the plan manager. This was a Defined Benifits Pension Plan and I was always told it was totally safe.

My banker told me that most transfers are completely transparent. I think I am getting ripped off.

Beth3

Without reading the Plan Document, it's just not possible to know whether what your ex-employer is doing is violating the terms of the Plan and/or federal regulations governing pension plans. If you think something hinky is going on, you're free to file a complaint with the federal department of labor which is the regulatory agency who oversees compliance for qualified benefit plans.

The U.S. Department of Labor Home Page

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since we have not read the plan document, we don't know if he's right or not.

Any action that your employer takes that limits your benefits - such as firing or disciplining you just as you are about to receive benefits - may be an ERISA violation and should be investigated and addressed.

If you have worked for an employer and meet the requirements for retirement or pension benefits under the company's plan, but have been denied compensation for any reason, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your interests, one who is well-versed in the pension laws and will help you recover what is rightfully yours. The laws governing retirement benefits are complex and confusing.

Retirement and pension cases require substantial document review and analysis. Most attorneys in this field offers a free, one-hour consultation .

ERISA present very unique legal issues. The standard of review depends on the kind of claim that is made. Recently, there have been a number of class action cases against employers who either bankrupt or diminish or alter benefit plans. The Ninth Circuit has provided some clarification on standard of review, but it is limited to a particular kind of benefit claim.

justalayman

=Seattle Slew;2266988]Any action that your employer takes that limits your benefits - such as firing or disciplining you just as you are about to receive benefits - may be an ERISA violation and should be investigated and addressed.
and the OP clued you in to such a situation where?

If you have worked for an employer and meet the requirements for retirement or pension benefits under the company's plan, but have been denied compensation for any reason, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your interests, one who is well-versed in the pension laws and will help you recover what is rightfully yours. The laws governing retirement benefits are complex and confusing.
and you saw the OP was being denied benefits in what part of his post?

Retirement and pension cases require substantial document review and analysis. Most attorneys in this field offers a free, one-hour consultation .
Gee, words of wisdom.not.

ERISA present very unique legal issues. The standard of review depends on the kind of claim that is made. Recently, there have been a number of class action cases against employers who either bankrupt or diminish or alter benefit plans. The Ninth Circuit has provided some clarification on standard of review, but it is limited to a particular kind of benefit claim.
so, to translate what you just said that has any meaning to this situation or actually, any situation:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">