• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-fiancée asking me to pay back money she says I owe her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I got a message from an ex fiancée saying I owe her 1200+ dollars plus lawyers fees and she has "proof" I owe her. What's really strange is that we broke up 28 years ago and I haven't heard from her once since that time. I do know that I never borrowed money from her though and I never would've signed anything back then stating she loaned me money.

My question is: Do I need to take this seriously? I didn't respond to her message and don't intend to.

LdiJ

I got a message from an ex fiancée saying I owe her 1200+ dollars plus lawyers fees and she has "proof" I owe her. What's really strange is that we broke up 28 years ago and I haven't heard from her once since that time. I do know that I never borrowed money from her though and I never would've signed anything back then stating she loaned me money.

My question is: Do I need to take this seriously? I didn't respond to her message and don't intend to.
You did not answer the question as to what state you are in. Therefore you cannot get a definitive answer as the law varies from state to state.

If she somehow got a judgement against you some 28 or less years ago for something that you could have possibly owed (not necessarily a loan, maybe a bill of some sort), there is a chance that the judgement would still be viable depending on the state involved.

Otherwise, you would definitely be past any statute of limitations.

quincy

Virginia has a 6 year statute of limitations for collecting on a debt and, if she obtained a judgment, she had a maximum of 20 years to collect on it (10 years plus a 10 year extension).

If you do not want to respond to her, you don’t have to.

Virginia has a 6 year statute of limitations for collecting on a debt and, if she obtained a judgment, she had a maximum of 20 years to collect on it (10 years plus a 10 year extension).

If you do not want to respond to her, you don’t have to.
Thanks! I really wasn't too worried about it but wanted to check just to be safe. It's one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced, I mean, it's been 28 years!!

quincy

Lol, she sent the message via facebook messenger so I checked out her account...she's married(and I am too, dodged a bullet with her).
Haha.

Well ... her message to you is a bit of a puzzler. I see no reason to contact her other than curiosity. She is probably best ignored.

CdwJava

This could be a case of a hacked or stolen FB account. Someone may have used her profile to send similar and vague demands to a number of people. Though, if you weren't "friends" on FB this becomes less likely. But, in the past few years I have heard of a great many bizarre schemes.

quincy

Exactly! I never heard one thing from her since the day we broke up which made her message to me really weird. No messages since that one though, thank God :)
If you were not mentioned personally in the text of the message, it is also possible she meant to send the message to someone else and mistakenly sent it to you.

Whatever the case, it should not be something with which you need to concern yourself. The time for collecting on any debt has long since passed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">