• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Fiancee wants to take me to court because "I owe him"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breanna1012

:confused:

was engaged, and we broke it off around the middle of October of this year.. I had bought a couple things on ebay (which we both used) and we both had seperate paypal accounts.. It took the money out of his account instead of mine, so he's accusing me of stealing from him. I said I'd pay him the money, but he said he already has a police report. Also, he has fixed my car a couple of times when we were together, and now says that i have to pay him for it since we're not together anymore.. He bought me new tires last winter AS A PRESENT.. I did not make him.. and he says I now have to pay him for those too.. I work around 35-40 hours a week, but dont make very much money.. I have a car loan, and bills to pay.. He's coming up with an amount of money that I "owe him" and I don' t even make that much a MONTH.. Can he really take me to court and Make me pay for these things?? When we were together, they obviously weren't a problem, and I've offered to give him money for the ebay stuff... what do i do??!!!

Additional Details

3 minutes ago
The ebay amount is $105.55. I have copies of the receipts, and told him as soon as he accused me of "stealing" that I would pay it RIGHT NOW to him because it was a simple mistake on my part...

Yes we were living together, in his parents basement (we were working on getting a house, THANK GOD things stopped where they did and I don't have that to figure out too.

When I pay the ebay money back (which I immediately agreed to do) will the Police Report go on my record and show up on background checks??!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dolebot

will the Police Report go on my record and show up on background checks??!
No a police report is a simple sheet of paper that goes in a file. If you get arrested, they get that paper and build on it.

He bought me new tires last winter AS A PRESENT.. I did not make him..
If he can convince a jury and/or a judge that he incurred a loss as a result of this, and that the tires were in fact not a gift, he would be due the money. Good luck with that (directed towards ex-bf) Its not very likely.

Also, he has fixed my car a couple of times when we were together, and now says that i have to pay him for it since we're not together anymore.
Again - he would need to convince a jury or judge that he incurred a loss over this, and that he should have expected payment. Most folks including judges and those on juries would tend to see someone who would do that as a dirtbag and not award them that.

Now if he bought you a cell phone in his name - and you racked up the charges, then left him - that would be much easier for him to win.

I would pay him the ebay stuff - thats obvious, then be done with him. However I'm not you and I'm not a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">