• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Filed Restraining Order on Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huntingguy

What is the name of your state? WI

I took my ex to court to change our order that is 7 years old. She didn't get what she wanted, was crying in the courtroom, and after the hearing she literally walked next door and filed a restraining order against my girlfriend. She is claiming that my girlfriend is harassing via text messages and emails. I email my ex copies of receipts that are owed and she responds to the emails like she is talking to my girlfriend. The same thing goes with text messages. She will text me and then upon me responding she starts talking to me like I am my girlfriend. My girlfriend isn't even around when these emails and texts take place she is fricken obsessed for some reason. I have repeatedly told her it is me.

My girlfriend kept text messages from my ex and a friend of hers she had text her as well but those date back to 2017. During that exchange my girlfriend told my ex and her friend to quit contacting her and ended up blocking them both so they cannot text her anymore.

Does my ex have a leg to stand on with what she claims is harassment? My girlfriend feels bad because she doesn't want it hurting my case in family court but she knows she has done nothing wrong and has not contacted her. Just not sure how they even gave her a chance to even get one based on those things alone. The texts and emails are both mine and are mostly cordial because I dont want anything to be able to used against me.

quincy

What is the name of your state? WI

I took my ex to court to change our order that is 7 years old. She didn't get what she wanted, was crying in the courtroom, and after the hearing she literally walked next door and filed a restraining order against my girlfriend. She is claiming that my girlfriend is harassing via text messages and emails. I email my ex copies of receipts that are owed and she responds to the emails like she is talking to my girlfriend. The same thing goes with text messages. She will text me and then upon me responding she starts talking to me like I am my girlfriend. My girlfriend isn't even around when these emails and texts take place she is fricken obsessed for some reason. I have repeatedly told her it is me.

My girlfriend kept text messages from my ex and a friend of hers she had text her as well but those date back to 2017. During that exchange my girlfriend told my ex and her friend to quit contacting her and ended up blocking them both so they cannot text her anymore.

Does my ex have a leg to stand on with what she claims is harassment? My girlfriend feels bad because she doesn't want it hurting my case in family court but she knows she has done nothing wrong and has not contacted her. Just not sure how they even gave her a chance to even get one based on those things alone. The texts and emails are both mine and are mostly cordial because I dont want anything to be able to used against me.
Your ex should have some evidence to support her need for a restraining order against your girlfriend although it is possible that the court will issue a no contact order anyway, as a way to preserve peace.

It is also possible that a court will issue a "mutual" no contact order, stating that your girlfriend cannot contact/harass your ex and your ex cannot contact/harass your girlfriend.

Any order issued by the court could be a temporary order put in place to make sure everyone behaves for the next six months if so, at which time it will expire on its own. Any violations of the order, on the other hand, can result in an arrest and a permanent restraining order (with "permanent" an order that can be revisited after X number of months or years).

You would be smart in any case to keep your girlfriend away when you are meeting with your ex (to pick ups/drop offs of children, when in court, etc) because this only stands to fan flames that apparently are still burning.

Your girlfriend can seek help from an attorney for any hearing on an order.

huntingguy

Your ex should have some evidence to support her need for a restraining order against your girlfriend although it is possible that the court will issue a no contact order anyway, as a way to preserve peace.

It is also possible that a court will issue a "mutual" no contact order, stating that your girlfriend cannot contact/harass your ex and your ex cannot contact/harass your girlfriend.

Any order issued by the court could be a temporary order put in place to make sure everyone behaves for the next six months if so, at which time it will expire on its own. Any violations of the order, on the other hand, can result in an arrest and a permanent restraining order (with "permanent" an order that can be revisited after X number of months or years).

You would be smart in any case to keep your girlfriend away when you are meeting with your ex (to pick ups/drop offs of children, when in court, etc) because this only stands to fan flames that apparently are still burning.

My girlfriend is never around when she picks up my son. My girlfriend never comes to court with me. My girlfriend has nothing to do with anything between me and my ex when it comes to our son. The thing is that my girlfriend has kids that go to the same school and play in the same baseball league as my son. My ex is doing this just so she can make sure my girlfriend wouldnt be able to be at anything then. How is that fair? My ex is the one texting me and emailing me having a conversation with my girlfriend and it isnt even her it is me!! I repeatedly respond and tell her this is me she isnt even here and she just continues to talk crap about my girlfriend and on top of it her kids!! It is getting so ridiculous.

She is more focused on my girlfriend than she is trying to get more time with our son.

Just Blue

My girlfriend is never around when she picks up my son. My girlfriend never comes to court with me. My girlfriend has nothing to do with anything between me and my ex when it comes to our son. The thing is that my girlfriend has kids that go to the same school and play in the same baseball league as my son. My ex is doing this just so she can make sure my girlfriend wouldnt be able to be at anything then. How is that fair? My ex is the one texting me and emailing me having a conversation with my girlfriend and it isnt even her it is me!! I repeatedly respond and tell her this is me she isnt even here and she just continues to talk crap about my girlfriend and on top of it her kids!! It is getting so ridiculous.

She is more focused on my girlfriend than she is trying to get more time with our son.
Your GF needs to discuss this with her attorney.

huntingguy

Any suggestions on an attorney? My girlfriend already drafted affidavits for myself and oh her work. My ex contacted her work and tried getting her fired too. She has copies of the emails and texts sent to my email address and my phone number with the constant bad mouthing of her and her kids. Not sure what else she would need.

xylene

If she knows the date and time of the hearing, she would be wise to attend WITH her lawyer, unless HER LAWYER usnelss her lawyer instructs her otherwise in writing.

quincy

Once my girlfriend gets served, she hasn't even been served yet and the hearing is apparently in 6 days. how long do they have to server her before the hearing?
It depends. Your ex might get an ex parte order and your girlfriend will be served with that, which will be in effect until a full hearing is scheduled.

Otherwise, your girlfriend or her attorney can call the court to find out the date and time for the hearing.

Why hasn't your girlfriend filed for a no contact order against your ex if your ex is being so difficult?

Your girlfriend can find an attorney in your area by going to the state Bar Association website or she could try: https://www.attorneypages.com

huntingguy

If she knows the date and time of the hearing, she would be wise to attend WITH her lawyer, unless HER LAWYER usnelss her lawyer instructs her otherwise in writing.
at this point there is no attorney. it was literally filed 2 days ago. i guess i will tell her to look for one. thanks for the help.

Just Blue

Any suggestions on an attorney? My girlfriend already drafted affidavits for myself and oh her work. My ex contacted her work and tried getting her fired too. She has copies of the emails and texts sent to my email address and my phone number with the constant bad mouthing of her and her kids. Not sure what else she would need.
She need her witnesses there with her in court. Please ...just tell her to hire an attorney today.

Last edited:

quincy

And she really needs a lawyer when she goes to that hearing.
I agree.

A lawyer will be able to present the ex and the ex's claims as untrue, unreasonable and/or vindictive whereas the girlfriend might not be able to do this without irritating the judge.

A lawyer, in other words, is the girlfriend's best chance to have no order issued against her or a mutual order which also restricts the ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">