• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex got loan with out my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illkinois
My divorce has been final for 8 months. I just had a loan company call me and say that there was a title loan taken out on my SUV by my ex. This loan was taken out over a year ago without my knowledge. He has not made the payments. Now they say they are putting a reposession on my car. How can they do this? I never signned anything. The car was in both our names. Plus, the vehicle was awarded to me in our divorce. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illkinois
My divorce has been final for 8 months. I just had a loan company call me and say that there was a title loan taken out on my SUV by my ex. This loan was taken out over a year ago without my knowledge. He has not made the payments. Now they say they are putting a reposession on my car. How can they do this? I never signned anything. The car was in both our names. Plus, the vehicle was awarded to me in our divorce. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The fact that the vehicle was awarded to you won't stop the loan company from repossessing it.

You really need to see an attorney. The two of you would not have been allowed to take out loans affecting the other person while the divorce is pending. Even if there were a loan, it should have been disclosed. AND, your ex would be responsible for keeping the payments current.

In addition to asking the court to hold your ex in contempt, ask to be reimbursed for your legal expenses.

In addition, there may be some banking issues. If your name is on the title, your ex should not have been able to pledge the car on a loan without your signature. If your signature was forced, contact the police IMMEDIATELY and file a complaint.

For now, you probably need to make some payments on the car so it isn't repossessed before you have a hearing.. You can also ask the court to order your ex to reimburse that, as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">