• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex HasCustodyAdmits herself 2 psyche ward

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidsfriend

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Indiana
Ex Has Custody of Kids. Has admitted herself for psychiatric treatment. She is bi-polar and needs meds monitoring on occasion. (This has happenned before) Leaves kids to fend for themselves & tells my 18 yr old that lives w/ me to come stay w/ the kids there instead of letting me have them. Can I get a emergency temporary custody order for when this happens? Or do I have a chance at getting custody because of her doing this?
Kids are 11, 13, and 16 and they are left alone for approx. a week at a time usually when this occurs. ( The 16 year old has a job and isn't home much & the 18 year old that lives w/ me works too!) I have visitation it says in my divorce reasonable visitation in accorance with the laws in my state, and she has custody. I don't even think I have joint legal custody. The kids live 2 blocks from my house. They are so close they could walk over & yes go to the same school. I have not tried to modify custody arrangement in the past I hate to make any waves & I don't think there is a question of my fitness.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

What exactly are your orders for custody and visitation?
How far away do you live from the children, would they be able to attend their regular school if they came to stay with you?
Have you tried to modify custody and or visitation in the past?
Is there a question about your fitness?

davidsfriend

I have visitation it says in my divorce reasonable visitation in accorance with the laws in my state, and she has custody. I don't even think I have joint legal custody. The kids live 2 blocks from my house. They are so close they could walk over & yes go to the same school.

casa

davidsfriend said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Indiana
Ex Has Custody of Kids. Has admitted herself for psychiatric treatment. She is bi-polar and needs meds monitoring on occasion. (This has happenned before) Leaves kids to fend for themselves & tells my 18 yr old that lives w/ me to come stay w/ the kids there instead of letting me have them. Can I get a emergency temporary custody order for when this happens? Or do I have a chance at getting custody because of her doing this?
Kids are 11, 13, and 16 and they are left alone for approx. a week at a time usually when this occurs. ( The 16 year old has a job and isn't home much & the 18 year old that lives w/ me works too!) I have visitation it says in my divorce reasonable visitation in accorance with the laws in my state, and she has custody. I don't even think I have joint legal custody. The kids live 2 blocks from my house. They are so close they could walk over & yes go to the same school. I have not tried to modify custody arrangement in the past I hate to make any waves & I don't think there is a question of my fitness.
If the children are that age, live within blocks from your home, you have reasonable visitation and they all attend the same school~ Why not just have the kids stay at your house during that week?

You could file for emergency custody- but by the time you get in court, she'd be home.

You say you are aware of this happening before, seemingly you have no problem with it- so it would appear to the court you are OK with it, since you haven't done anything about it before. That is why the quickest solution is to have the kids walk over and stay with you this week.

LdiJ

casa said:
If the children are that age, live within blocks from your home, you have reasonable visitation and they all attend the same school~ Why not just have the kids stay at your house during that week?

You could file for emergency custody- but by the time you get in court, she'd be home.

You say you are aware of this happening before, seemingly you have no problem with it- so it would appear to the court you are OK with it, since you haven't done anything about it before. That is why the quickest solution is to have the kids walk over and stay with you this week.
Seriously....there is nothing that she could do about it....and if she attempted to file contempt against you for it, it would just make HER look bad in court. However, if she is likely to be calling the children to check on them regularly....then you better make sure that she knows where they are....or have them forward their phone to yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">