• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex huband passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butterfly81090

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My ex husband passed away we had bought a house before we had gotten divorced. he always told me that he still had me in his will and that the house would be mine if something was to happen i have gotten remarried. his family however are still talking to me i went to his funeral his sister told me that i would got some money from his savings account where he had forgot to take my name off she stated that there was no will that they could find. how do i go about finding out if i am entiled to any thing that he owned. i am trying really hard to trust his family but you know how that goes:(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If the family has the Will, and they're hiding it, then there's no way to find it. It's as if there never was a Will.

I hope you both had "mortgage insurance" - - otherwise, if you're still on the mortgage loan contract, you'll be on your own paying for the home.

IAAL

Dandy Don

Check the property tax records at the county courthouse to see how the owners' names are listed on the property where your husband lived, or pay a few hundred dollars to a local abstract/title company to have an official deed search done and it will show you who the legal owners are. If the home is fully paid for and your husband listed your name on the deed, then that would be good news for you, or at the very least you should consult a local probate attorney to find out what your options are.

If you feel that there is a strong chance that your husband may have drafted and signed a legal will, then consider placing a small classified ad in the local newspaper that mentions you are searching for the will of YOUR HUSBAND'S NAME and if anyone (the attorney who helped him draft it or perhaps the witnesses who signed the will) has any information to contact you.

If the relative told you the name of the bank where the account was, you can contact the bank now to ask them to issue you a check for the account, as that money does not need to go through probate since it goes directly to the named account co-owner/beneficiary.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
Check the property tax records at the county courthouse to see how the owners' names are listed on the property where your husband lived, or pay a few hundred dollars to a local abstract/title company to have an official deed search done and it will show you who the legal owners are. If the home is fully paid for and your husband listed your name on the deed, then that would be good news for you, or at the very least you should consult a local probate attorney to find out what your options are.

If you feel that there is a strong chance that your husband may have drafted and signed a legal will, then consider placing a small classified ad in the local newspaper that mentions you are searching for the will of YOUR HUSBAND'S NAME and if anyone has information (the attorney who helped him draft it or perhaps the witnesses who signed the will) has any information to contact you.

If the relative told you the name of the bank where the account was, you can contact the bank now to ask them to issue you a check for the account, as that money does not need to go through probate since it goes directly to the named account co-owner/beneficiary.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

My response:

An excellent response and suggestions, Dandy. Good work.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">