• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex husband bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? virginia
i live in virginia and have been divorced for a year now, no
kids, but a house and a car that was in both our names. in the
divorce the house was to be put on the market and sold (he still lives there) and the car was to be "signed" over to me, getting his name off of the loan. meanwhile he dragged his feet, and i have had to spend 3000 bucks so far taking him to court etc. to have nothing happen. as of now, he had filed for bankruptcy supposedly chap. 13, and has damaged the house so much that no realtor will put it on the market w/o repairs done. the bank that has title to the car says that i have to apply for a loan on my own before they will consider taking his name off of the loan, but because he filed bankruptcy and my name is still on the house, the bankruptcy is showing up on my credit. now my credit which used to be EXCEPTIONAL is in the toilet. my lawyer says he is not a bankruptcy lawyer and i need to contact one of those to find out my "rights" and so on. i do not have the money to keep spending on lawyers! can i "abandon" the car since he has filed ch. 13? since i can't get his name off of it? i don't know what else to do.....this has gone on for too long. p.s. there is a protective order involved..... any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential