• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband - parents - death benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tzoomzoom

What is the name of your state? pa
Long story short - My ex-husband recently passed away and I am listed as his benificiary on his Life Insurance policy and his parents are listed as secondary beneficiaries. Do I still have the right to claim the policy?

Dandy Don

Contact the insurance company and tell them you want to file a claim and don't tell them you are an ex-spouse unless they specifically ask you that--as long as you are named beneficiary, they should be willing to make the payout to you unless there is something in the policy that says differently. You may be thinking about probate law which sometimes excludes a divorced spouse from collecting an inheritance, but insurance proceeds are not affected by probate law and are payable outside of probate law, so you are in line to receive this money.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

The life ins. proceeds will go to the primary beneficiary (you) if living at the death of the insured. If your husband wanted his parents to be named primary beneficiaries after the divorce, he would have had to send in a change of bene form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">