• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband - parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tzoomzoom

What is the name of your state? PA

My ex-husband named me as the beneficiary to his Life Insurance Policy when we were married; since then, he has passed away and his parents were named as secondary beneficiaries. Unaware that he named me, the Insurance company contacted me and asked me to "relinquish my rights" to the policy and sign it over to his parents. I contacted an attorney and he advised me not to do so.

His parents have since contacted an attorney and they are suing the Insurance company for the claim. It is now scheduled for court.

Since I am named as the beneficiary and sent in a claim - do I still have a right to the proceeds?

Betty

Also see this thread by this poster: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=398424.

The normal procedure is that the proceeds go to the primary bene named in the policy if living at insured's death. If your ex-husband wanted his parents to be primary benes he should have changed the beneficiaries. That's the normal procedure. However; since this is going to court, you will just have to see what the court decides. No one can say what any individual court might decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">