• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husbands Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


barbara fleet

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

At my divorce proceedings the court appointed my ex-husband to be responsible for a credit card account. I was the primary on the account. Last year I noticed this was still on my credit report, so I called the creditor to see if they would remove my name from the account. They would not do this, so I just closed the account. After reviewing my credit report this year, the account showed up as a charged off account due to nonpayment. They wiill not remove this from my credit report, they have told me they do not honor divorce decrees. What are my options? I do not want this hurting my credit.


Senior Member
I take it no payments were made after you closed the account ?

The CC companies won't pay any attention to divorce decrees, but if it was ordered by the court that your EX pay this bill, then you need to pursue that in the court where the divorce was done. By ignoring the court order to pay the debt, he is violating a court order.. go after him that way. Get the money out of him and pay the charge-off. With your name on the account, there's no way you're going to get that removed from your credit report, but you can have it noted as 'paid' if you can get the money out of your EX.


Senior Member
has he filed Bk??

your going to have to make the payment to keep them current, and like Ladynred said, your going to have to take him to court for the money he now owes you...

if he has filed Bk you can forget about taking him to court at all... your just stuck paying them unless you file BK as well.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential