• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX in jail - child support ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have complete custody of my kids and my ex is in jail.

Can I get child support from her while she is in jail?

Can I get child support once she gets out - assuming she is employable?


How are you going to get child support from her if she's in jail? Does she have income coming into her in jail?


I was told I may be able to get back child support.

HOw about once she gets out - I don't know how employable she is going to be?


Senior Member
You need to research your state's legislative website on child support or call an attorney to find out about collecting support while the parent is incarcerated. Not all states will require someone to pay while they are.

For other info on child support, go to www.childsupportguidelines.com.

You can see about setting up an order for support if you want but she may not be required to pay while she is in. When she gets out, she will still be required to pay, even if they have to impute her income at minimum wage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential