• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Landlord Harassing my husband and I.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Unknown1992

My husband and I moved into a old trailer in March 2018. There is no signed lease agreement only word of mouth and a few letters and text messages. We moved in on the deal that we would take care of her 8 horses at night (feeding and watering only). During that time she would have people spy on the house or leave notes on the door about cleaning or moving our vehicles. We never felt safe there. On December 1st she said she no longer needed our help with the horses but now needed us to pay rent so she could hire someone to take care of the horses. She said we could pay at the end of the month. When we went to go pay her, she said not to worry about it until February. On January 9th we received a letter from her stating she wanted us to leave the house by February 15th. My husband and I was already looking for a house to buy in December and began the process. It needed a repair that the sellers fixed but that would delay everything on the house purchase. The landlord was made aware of this and threw a fit. After family members talked to her and she gave us until March 15th. I managed to get the 16th and 17th for the purpose of cleaning it as well. On March 18th she texted me saying that the house is nasty and that we need to go clean it again. Also her horrible handy-man had left a mess in the backyard when he "fixed" the porch. We are getting blamed for it. She is saying that if she has to hire someone to clean it then she will send us the bill. What can we do to make the harassment stop? Is this a case we can sue for never having a peace of mind or quiet enjoyment of the property?

Unknown1992

This one's simple: Move.

(What US state?)
Sorry, I should clarify that we have moved out as of this weekend, but we received a text from here stating that the place is nasty and that is she has to hire someone to clean she is sending us the bill. We spent two days on deep cleaning but she is one of those where nothing is good enough. She also says she has no money but just bought a 6 million dollar horse last month.

State: North Carolina

Gail in Georgia

Telling you today that you left her house nasty is hardly considered "harassment" by any sense of the word. Her leaving previous messages on your door never particularly seemed to bother you until you got the notice that you were going to be billed for this supposed mess you left behind.
As previously suggested, ignore her and simply wait and see what happens.

Gail

There was no signed lease and it was all word of mouth, which works both ways.
I'm guessing that all of the rent you paid to her was never declared to the IRS, so ask her for a receipt for all rents paid because you need it to file your taxes. That should be the last you hear from her.

Gail in Georgia

" On December 1st she said she no longer needed our help with the horses but now needed us to pay rent so she could hire someone to take care of the horses. She said we could pay at the end of the month. When we went to go pay her, she said not to worry about it until February."

I'm guessing no rent was paid during this entire time period.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">