• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-landlord keeping washer and dryer......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Indiana. We recently purchased a house that came with a washer and dryer, and when our landlord offered to buy our old washer and dryer, we agreed, and left them there when we moved out. We agreed on a price of $175.00 for both.

We paid a young man to haul off a bed, microwave cart, a student desk, and a chair, which we left in the back yard. Apparantly this young man never removed the stuff, and when I sent my old landlord an email asking why, he claimed that he had to haul off those things....at a cost of $160.00..... So, now he claims that since he had to pay for the hauling, he doesn't owe us for the washer and dryer. Since he deals with so many contractors, we feel he can probably get a "bogus" reciept saying it cost him that amount to remove the items we left.

Do I have any recourse? He has our phone number, (it didn't change when we moved) and could have contacted us at any time to let us know the items were still there.

The washer was 4 years old, and the dryer was 3 months old. We painted, cleaned the carpet, etc. when we moved out, and our rent was paid in full.

V

Votan

We paid a young man to haul off a bed, microwave cart, a student desk, and a chair, which we left in the back yard. Apparantly this young man never removed the stuff, and when I sent my old landlord an email asking why, he claimed that he had to haul off those things....at a cost of $160.00..... So, now he claims that since he had to

Contact the man who was supposed to haul off the things from the back yard and cofirm whether he did the job or not. I presume you paid labor to tha man. Did you?

Ask the man if he got paid by landlord cash or check and how much. If your young man got paid by you and by landlord, you have to deal with him harshly, and the landlord as well, in the court.

Request from landlord a copy of the check he paid to young man. If he claims he paid cash, you might be able to convince the judge that he is making it up. But first get the young man and ask him what happened with your money.

Cvillecpm

Sorry...the landlord does not have to provide receipts or copies of cancelled checks as proof that he paid. Landlord is PO'd that you did not make sure that items were removed as agreed. Take responsibility for not removing the items yourself or making sure that they were removed so that your exit from the rented property was as agreed.

V

Votan

Cvillecpm said:
Sorry...the landlord does not have to provide receipts or copies of cancelled checks as proof that he paid. Landlord is PO'd that you did not make sure that items were removed as agreed. Take responsibility for not removing the items yourself or making sure that they were removed so that your exit from the rented property was as agreed.
Cancelled checks? Where do they fit in here?

Take responsibility? By GIVING him a washer/dryer set?? I DON"T think so.............. So... since my young man didn't haul off a few items, that gives him the right to just TAKE my washer and dryer?

I also didn't mention that he remodelled the building right before we moved into it, and I spent 2 or 3 months hauling off HIS trash...empty paint cans, chunks of wood.....etc. etc.

There are 2 apartments in his building, and we both moved at the same time. How can he claim it ALL belongs to me?

By the way.... I took RESPONSIBILITY and rented a carpet cleaner, painted the walls, and made certain that the apartment was left in such condition that the new tenants could move in w/ no effort on his part. I even washed the WINDOWS..all of them... inside and out. I rented a Hertz-Penske truck and would have taken my washer and dryer also, had he not told me he wanted to buy them.

He is plain out trying to STEAL my washer and dryer. Judging from your reply- I bet YOU are a landlord/slumlord..........and you've probably done the same thing to honest, decent tenants, too!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">