• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex landlord owes extra month paid!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoop990

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My wife and I moved out of our last apartment in may of 2005. They were in the process of selling their 2 family house which we were occupying. We were tenants at will and we had a verbal agreement in april of 2005 that if we found an apartment we could move out and any money paid extra would be returned to us. We paid first and last months rent at the signing of the lease. We paid May's rent, since we had not found a new apartment at the time. A week after we found a new apartment and signed a lease we told our landlord and he was fine with that. He said he would return the extra month rent to us, but they would have it when the house was sold. Three months later in august they sold the house. At that time we contacted them requesting the money owed and the interest on our last months rent, which we had not deducted or been given. They were upset by this and have since gone back on the verbal agreement we made and are saying we owe them a months rent since the lease requires 60 days notice. Legally we only have to give 30 days notice, which I was not aware of at the time we signed the lease. They have since sent us the interest only on our last months rent and requested one months additional rent. What is my legal right?

longneck

you said two things that don't make sense next to each other:
We were tenants at will and we had a verbal agreement in april of 2005 that if we found an apartment we could move out and any money paid extra would be returned to us.
They were upset by this and have since gone back on the verbal agreement we made and are saying we owe them a months rent since the lease requires 60 days notice.
so which is it? do you have a written lease, or a verbal lease?

if you have a written lease, 60 notice is a legal requirement if that's what the lease says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">