• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-landlord stole my stuff before i could get it off the property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmitchellm

Texas state law says i have 30 days to have my stuff off the property. He took it within a week of moving out. Can i take legal action against him and win?

Gail in Georgia

A few more details please...

Had you already moved out of this property and left these items behind?

Was an eviction the cause of you moving out or a lease termination?

Gail

rmitchellm

I had given notice to move out. And due to the weather wasn't able to get back to the shed for about a week. But I still had time to go back whenever it dried up. He knew I'd be back for the stuff and when it talked to him on the phone he said it could not have it back.

STEPHAN

Did you specificly tell him that you would come back? Or could he assume that the stuff was just abandoned?

Did you pay rent?

BL

Providing as in my State the LL "HAS TO " store your belongings for 30 days to give you the opportunity to contact them to set up a pick up . If your State's LL did not follow State LL/tenant law sue them. Many will just toss the stuff instead of storing it for re=rental.

I think I got the right thread now.:):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">