• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Refuses to Sign Escrow Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boggledmind

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OHIO

My divorce was final in April of this year. I refinanced my home and bought out my ex-wife's share. Three weeks later I received an escrow reimbursement check for $650 filled out to both of us. She knows that she is not due any of the money. She also knows that I can't cash it without her signature - and she won't sign it out of simple spite.

Yes, I know I should have just signed her name and she would have never been the wiser. But I wanted to do it the right way. The check will be voided after 180 days. I've already spent $150 in legal fees for my attorney just trying to get her to sign via her attorney.

I need this money as I also received full custody of my two teenagers and have all the bills a single parent with teens have - especially at the beginning of a new school year.

I've already called Bank of America (who held the first mortgage), but they refused to re-issue a check in my name only, even though I have a signed Quit Claim Deed and a divorce decree.

What do I do?? I don't want to blow it all on legal fees just trying to get it signed. Can she be held responsible for my loss of this income if she doesn't sign?

Last edited:

pojo2

Kind of dumb if you end up spending half of it just to keep her from getting half. But it is your money.

Why is she not entitled to 1/2 of the check? Well, besides spite.

boggledmind

Like I said, she is not entitled to any of this money - I'm not trying to keep anything from her that is due her. She relinquished all claims to the home when I bought her out - and again, she signed a Quit Claim Deed.

The check was issued weeks later. It's not a question of if she's entitled to any of this money - she is not asking for any of the money. She's just pissed that it's all mine and refuses to endorse the check knowing it check will eventually 'expire'. Her trying to make everything hard as possible is just how she is - pre and post-divorce.

No one knows of any recourse?

HomeGuru

boggledmind said:
Like I said, she is not entitled to any of this money - I'm not trying to keep anything from her that is due her. She relinquished all claims to the home when I bought her out - and again, she signed a Quit Claim Deed.

The check was issued weeks later. It's not a question of if she's entitled to any of this money - she is not asking for any of the money. She's just pissed that it's all mine and refuses to endorse the check knowing it check will eventually 'expire'. Her trying to make everything hard as possible is just how she is - pre and post-divorce.

No one knows of any recourse?

**A: of course there is recourse. What do you think that might be?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">