• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX SUEING ME FOR FURNITURE OR MONEY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rperez06

Recently my boyfriend (of six years) and I broke up. Well now he is sueing me in small claims court for furniture that we purchased together. He is sueing for $2900. The furniture is in my name but he says that it is his because he paid more money on it then me. Can someone please help me and give me advice. I don't know whether to pay him this money or let a judge decide what happens to the furniture or who pays what!

Sincerely,
R. Perez

JETX

You say that he claims to have paid "more money on it" than you.

Did you live together and share expenses (and incomes) or did you live together with totally separate expenses or did you not live together at all????

I ask this because it is important in determining how money was handled in your relationship.

If you lived together and shared the 'communal funds', then there is no such thing as his or her money, it is both of your funds. For example... you each bring $5.00 to the table, for a total of $10. Now, bill time comes and he says, "Don't worry, I will pay the furniture bill with my $5.00." You figure that is okay, because you still have the other (your) $5.00 to spend on food, rent, utilities, car note, gasoline and all the other expenses. That does not mean that he paid "more money on it".

The following could be important:
1) When was the furniture purchased?
2) When was the last payment made?
3) When did the relationship 'fizzle'.
4) What did he do to take possession of 'his' furniture?
5) Who has possession of the furniture now??
6) Can he prove that he made the payments from HIS own funds (without affecting the common funds, if any)?

Finally, why do you say that he spent more?? Tell the bugger to prove that he "spent more". After all, the furniture is in your name, assumed to be in your possession, etc. Based on your answers to the above questions, I believe that he would have a hard time getting sympathy from the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">