• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife as beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dwalker

What is the name of your state?
I was divorced in California while the kids were minors. At age 18 my child support stopped. However, I remember that I kept the renewable term life insurance in force, as part of the agreement. Twenty-two years later, I want to drop my ex as beneficiary, legally. Since she has no vested financial interest in my life, can I drop the insurance? I AM ALWAYS LIABLE responded with Texas law, and lives in Calif- can you do the same for me? Thanks

ALawyer

I may be unclear on the facts, but you should not be required to pay for and maintain insurance on your life in favor of anyone else as beneficiary UNLESS you agreed to maintain it or a court ordered you to do so.

If your ex owned a policy on your life, and name himself as beneficiary, he has the right to keep it in force.

D

dwalker

Thanks for the reply. Found the divorce "disagreement" and it states that I will maintain the life insurance policies, until both of us agree to change them, in writing. Unfortunately, she will most probably not agree to any changes, since I am paying for both her and my policy. Under these circumstances, can she legally be a beneficiary to my policy, without any financial interest(no spousal support, child support, etc) in me? Makes me worth more dead than alive, and that isn't comfortable to me.

ALawyer

Yes. One thing you might try to do is "buy her out" -- pay her $X for the right to drop it. If the policy is 22 years old, presumably inflation has reduced the purchasing power of the face value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">