• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife bankruptcy - joint mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mftc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
At the time of my divorce, over 1 year ago, my wife got the house which has a mortgage with both our names. There is also an equity line of credit attached to the same property but with a different bank that is also with both names. She was supposed to refinance but did not. She has fallen behind on payments and is being threatened with foreclosure by both lenders. She has decided to file for bankruptcy. Since bankruptcy only protects her, will I be liable for her debts since my name is on the documents even though she is the one who failed to follow through on her commitment to refinance in her name only?
Can the creditors put a lien on my current property which is in my name only?

Until your name is off that mortgage you are just as liable as the ex is. When she did not refi you should have returned to court to force her to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">