• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife continues to keep my life insurance policy in effect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Larry1954

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just recently found out that my ex wife still has an old insurance policy on me that the courts deemed I have for my minor daughter when my ex and I got divorced. My youngest daughter is now 25 and I just learned that my ex is asking all kinds of questions about my health and that she still has a life insurance policy on me. I paid all my child support until my child was an adult and I never paid any alimony (it wasn't deemed necessary in court.) Is this legal?

Dandy Don

Of course it's legal. What is your particular objection? It's not likely that she plans to murder you--she just wants reassurance that she will have some source of income to support her daughter in the unfortunate event of your demise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course it's legal. What is your particular objection? It's not likely that she plans to murder you--she just wants reassurance that she will have some source of income to support her daughter in the unfortunate event of your demise.
I agree it's legal.
But, DD - the daughter is 25 ;)

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just recently found out that my ex wife still has an old insurance policy on me that the courts deemed I have for my minor daughter when my ex and I got divorced. My youngest daughter is now 25 and I just learned that my ex is asking all kinds of questions about my health and that she still has a life insurance policy on me. I paid all my child support until my child was an adult and I never paid any alimony (it wasn't deemed necessary in court.) Is this legal?
Your ex has an insurable interest in you, as someone who was formerly married to you. As such, she is entitled to keep the policy in force, does not need to consent you to do this, and to leave the money to whomever she pleases, or do as she would like with it upon your death. Therefore, the other posters are correct.

justalayman

=ErinGoBragh;2520607]Your ex has an insurable interest in you, as someone who was formerly married to you
Not anymore. She did until the child was of age but after that, no. Once they are divorced, unless her ex was making payments to her for some reason, there was no longer an insurable interest due to the marriage.

As such, she is entitled to keep the policy in force, does not need to consent you to do this, and to leave the money to whomever she pleases, or do as she would like with it upon your death. Therefore, the other posters are correct.
actually, once the policy is in effect, there is nothing to prevent the owner from continuing the policy. As long as mom pays the fees, she can keep it in effect, insurable interest or not, until she decides otherwise.

commentator

Hey, I keep an insurance policy on my son's father. And my son is well above eighteen. For the pure and simple reason that, as he figured out at some point, "Hey Mother, if he dies, do I have to pay for his funeral?" And since the guy has nobody else in his life, my son is his only living relative, yes, my son would need to be that one who pays for some sort of decent passage for the dad I selected for him. I feel liable, and feel like we need to have a small amount set aside for this purpose. Maybe that's what this woman is thinking about.

Last edited:

Betty

If the ex wife is the owner of the policy & continues to pay the premiums, the ins. remains in force. Only the owner can cancel the policy or make any kind of change on the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">