• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife leaving personal property behind for years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomasj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Per Divorce agreement, I bought out my ex-wife from the home and property we shared when married. We agreed that she could take 6 months to remove all her property, and she still has property left here 3-1/2 years later. After 9 months, I started charging her monthly rent which she has never paid. What now?

adjusterjack

What now?

Pack up her stuff, take it to her house and put it on her doorstep.

Or, go back to divorce court and file a motion for an order allowing you to dispose of the items. You'll have to serve the motion on your ex and she'll have an opportunity to respond to it, which may get her to remove the property.

You'll never be able to enforce rent because you never had an agreement (or a court order) to charge rent, so you can forget about that unless you can get the judge to order compensation going forward.

That you waited 3 1/2 years is on you, not on her.

Last edited:

xylene

Umm, you aren't going to be collecting 3 years of "rent" just because you waiting years to deal with this...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">