• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife marrying sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

att

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My ex-wife's fiance is currently incarcerated out-of-state for sexual battery against a 15-year-old girl on his soccer team. He's scheduled to be released this November. My ex-wife and I have a 15-year-old daughter, and two sons. My ex-wife is standing by her man, and she plans on having him live with her and the kids. I've read that in Tennessee sex offenders can live with children as long as they are considered a parent, and that in Tennessee step-parents are considered parents. I want to start exploring now what my legal options might be once he is released. Please help.

single317dad

Here is an interesting case to use as a starting point for your research:

http://tba2.org/files/mccallm_062912.pdf

http://tba2.org/files/mccallm_062912.pdf

Stepparents (and everyone else on the SOR in TN) are barred from residing with a minor if their crime was against a child less than 13 years old. There is no such limitation when the crime was against a 15-year-old.

That doesn't mean you can't go to court and ask the judge to prohibit Mom from moving the children into the house with this man; it just means there's no specific law against it.

http://www.tbi.tn.gov/sex_ofender_reg/sex_offender_faq.shtml

http://www.tbi.tn.gov/sex_ofender_reg/sex_offender_faq.shtml

Last edited:

att

Thanks very much for the input. Unfortunately I don't have the money right now for a lawyer, so I'm currently pro se.

My case is further complicated by some messy psychological issues, such as: kids being taught that I'm the one responsible for the incarceration of the fiance, and therefore ruining their mom's life; unhealthy dependency issues between mom and children (13-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl still sleeping in their mom's bed); alienating tactics (e.g. text message to my son: "Your sperm donor is an ass." + lots of similar stuff); the kids now supposedly refusing visitation; the kids' grades plummeting; etc.; etc.

So obviously there is a lot more I am dealing with other than the sex offender, but just focusing on the sex offender issue, does anyone have specific recommendations as to what might be filed? Restraining order against her? Restraining order against him? Letter to his parole board? Child services involvement? Full custody battle with GAL and psychologist involved ($$$)? Limited modification of the decree?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks very much for the input. Unfortunately I don't have the money right now for a lawyer, so I'm currently pro se.

My case is further complicated by some messy psychological issues, such as: kids being taught that I'm the one responsible for the incarceration of the fiance, and therefore ruining their mom's life; unhealthy dependency issues between mom and children (13-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl still sleeping in their mom's bed); alienating tactics (e.g. text message to my son: "Your sperm donor is an ass." + lots of similar stuff); the kids now supposedly refusing visitation; the kids' grades plummeting; etc.; etc.

So obviously there is a lot more I am dealing with other than the sex offender, but just focusing on the sex offender issue, does anyone have specific recommendations as to what might be filed? Restraining order against her? Restraining order against him? Letter to his parole board? Child services involvement? Full custody battle with GAL and psychologist involved ($$$)? Limited modification of the decree?

Thanks!
Did you miss the recommendations to retain an attorney???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">